Louisiana Landmarks Society (LLS) is the oldest preservation organization in the state, dating to 1949. Founding members included Martha G. Robinson, Samuel Wilson, Jr., Buford Pickens, Angela Gregory and Bernard Lemann.
LLS established its articles of incorporation April 21, 1953. The non-profit organization thereby formalized its primary aims, the first of which was to focus attention on Louisiana’s historic buildings. Secondary aims included the acquisition and preservation of historic landmarks and documents; the dissemination of information about the state’s architectural traditions; and cooperation with other persons and organizations with similar objectives.
Read more here.
Image above: 200 Baronne Street. [Feiblemen's Store AKA Sears, Roebuck and Company; Moise Goldstein, architect]. Circa November 1931. Louisiana Landmarks Society Records and Collection, Southeastern Architectural Archive, Special Collections Division, Tulane University Libraries.