Not all attempts to develop bungalow subdivisions were successful, especially those that were detrimentally impacted by the Great Depression. One "bust" subdivision -- Riverside Park -- was originally platted by surveyor Elbert G. Sandoz for developers Murphy & Levy in 1923. Contractors Villere & Bertucci completed some of the requisite infrastructure (culverts, cypress removal) in 1924, but by the time Farm Security Administration photographer Russell Lee (1903-1986) visited Harahan in 1938, very little survived. Today, there are remnants of the Park Avenue neutral ground entrance.
For more on the history of Riverside Park, consult the Southeastern Architectural Archive's Guy Seghers Office Records.
Top above: Everett S. Dodds, architect. Kelso Model Home. From Build A Dodds Home: Beauty, Comfort and Durability. Red Oak, Nebraska: The Thomas D. Murphy Company, 1920s. Architectural Trade Catalogs, Southeastern Architectural Archive, Special Collections Division, Tulane University Libraries.
Lower images: Russell Lee, photographer. Riverside Park, "Bust" Real Estate Development North of New Orleans, Louisiana. September 1938. As viewed via the Library of Congress Prints & Photographs Division Online Catalog.