buildings on company letterheads, and just came across another one. The structure above was the New Orleans headquarters for the Howell Company, Incorporated, manufacturers and packers of family medicines, household remedies, toilet articles, insecticides and sundries.
According to The Times-Picayune, the company acquired the property located at the intersection of Magazine and Calliope Streets in 1929 (1104 Magazine Street), intending to build a three-story warehouse (1). The masonry building that appeared on a 1946 Howell Company letter was designed by Henry A. Ehresensig (1907-1985) for "Toups Products Co." in 1940. (2) T.A. Toups was Secretary-Treasurer for the Howell Company.
(1) "Upper Magazine Expansion Deal Features Realty." The Times-Picayune 31 January 1929: p. 9 [p. 37 of electronic version]. The 63 x 127' site sold for $15,000.
(2) Architectural drawings are at the New Orleans Public Library. See: http://nutrias.org/~nopl/plans/blueprints_m.htm
Image above: T.A. Toups, letter to R.B. Rordom, 4 November 1946, Guy Seghers Office Records, "District 1 Square 138," Southeastern Architectural Archive, Special Collections Division, Tulane University Libraries.