Thursday, August 21, 2008

New Orleans Business Archive: Dixie Mill Supply Company

Dixie Mill Company Storage, S. Diamond Street, 08.2008 by K. Rylance

Dixie Mill Supply Co. opened at 631 Tchoupitoulas in 1917. Its president was M.E. Cahn and its secretary was Joseph Goldstein. By the mid-1920s the business had moved to its current location at 901 Tchoupitoulas. Today, Dixie also deals in metallurgical salvage: the photograph above was taken of the interior of one of Dixie's South Diamond Street storage spaces, just as the contents had been sold to a third party. An elbow joint, such as the ones seen in the foreground, may fetch as much as $1,000 on the open market, depending on metal content.

Iron-Clad Joint Co. Advertisement from Soards' New Orleans City Directory for 1918 Vol. XLV, p. 10. The Southeastern Architectural Archive, Special Collections Division, Tulane University Libraries.

City directories are an excellent resource for those interested in historic businesses and architecture. Many early twentieth-century "yellow page" advertisements display products, buildings, and company slogans. The Southeastern Architectural Archive maintains a collection of New Orleans and suburban directories, as well as trade catalogs associated with the use of metals in architecture, especially aluminum and steel.

Resources for Architectural Salvage:

Subscribe to Architectural Salvage News here

The Architectural Bank
1824 Felicity Street

Carrollton Lumber Company
2938 Leonidas at 8600 Earhart Boulevard

The Green Project
2831 Marais Street

Habitat ReStore
2830 Royal Street

Preservation Resource Center Warehouse
2801 Marais Street

Ricca's Architectural Sales
511 North Solomon Street

No comments: